If you would like to learn more about how to use the online classroom, as well as troubleshooting tips, we are running seminars at 6pm on Tuesdays and 11am on Thursdays for tutors! You can see how to join one here.
Firstly, check your sound is turned all the way up and the Online Classroom tab or window isn’t muted. Try changing your headphones or microphone if you have a spare to see whether it’s a hardware problem.
If this doesn’t solve the problem, check that the microphone sensitivity isn’t turned down too low:
- Open the control panel, go to ‘Sound’ and then ‘Recording Tab’
- You should see a microphone there if you have one connected - when you speak, the indicator bar should move up and down
- If the indicator bar does not move, right click on the microphone and select ‘Preferences’ - check the microphone level (NOT the microphone boost) is no lower than 70%
- If this still doesn’t work, it’s likely that, unfortunately, your microphone is broken
- Open system preferences, go to ‘Sound’ and then ‘Input’
- Check that the microphone you want to use is highlighted - and then check that the input volume is switched up to at least 70%
- When you speak, the indicator bar below should show varying input levels
- If you don’t see the indicator bar moving, it’s likely that, unfortunately, your microphone is broken