Don’t panic! There are a few things which you can check to ensure everything is set up correctly.
Check your webcam and microphone have been allowed in the classroom
This also involves ensuring that you have the correct camera and microphone selected, particularly when using Firefox! Feel free to refer to our FAQ which will help you do this: How do I enable my microphone and camera?
Checking the ‘People’ icon
If it is the student that cannot be seen or heard, ensure they have been allowed into the classroom - the tutor can do this by going to the ‘People’ icon, and ensuring the student’s webcam and microphone icons are both showing as green, and selecting these if this is not the case. It sounds simple, but it’s also worth ensuring the other party has their sound turned up if this is allowed here!
Check it’s not your camera or microphone that has the issue
If possible, try to use your camera/microphone with another application. If it doesn’t work there either, then the problem is most likely to be an issue with the camera or microphone itself. You may be able to try using headphones instead of the inbuilt microphone in your computer or laptop for example if this turns out to be the issue.
If your camera and microphone are definitely working in other applications, try opening the lesson space in an incognito window, or switch internet browsers. If it works in an incognito window, you’ll have to clear your cookies and cache as they will be interfering with your permissions and the running of the classroom!
To clear your cookies and cache on Google Chrome, you’ll need to:
- Go to your full browsing history (can be found at the top of your screen on a Mac, or Ctrl+H on Windows)
- There is a ‘Clear Browsing Data’ option on the left of your screen
- A pop-up will appear detailing what you will be clearing - just ensure that the ‘Cookies and other data’ and ‘Cached images and files’ boxes are ticked, and select clear data.
To clear your cookies and cache on Mozilla Firefox, you’ll need to:
- Select ‘History’ (Windows) or Tools (Mac) from the menu bar, and select ‘Clear Recent History’.
- On the pop-up, select to view the details and ensure that ‘Cookies’ and ‘Cache’ are selected before selecting ‘Clear Now’
If your webcam or microphone still isn’t working, this points to a driver issue - you can usually search for updated drivers online from the website of the manufacturer. Installing the updated drivers should hopefully solve your problem!