Need a hand getting up and running with us as a tutor? Not a problem!
Your profile contains all the information students may need to know before contacting you for lessons, so it’s important to ensure that everything on here is clear and covers all the subjects you would like to offer.
There are a few sections you will need to fill in before you can submit your profile to us, so to help you we have listed them below, along with some advice on how to complete each section:
Clicking on your 'Profile' tab will automatically put you into editor mode, so you can make any changes required to your profile. You can see how this is displayed to students by clicking the 'preview profile' button.
- Tagline - Your tagline appears next to your name when students come across your profile in the search results and at the top of your full profile. You can use this to indicate to students what it is you specialise in, for example, “Enthusiastic GCSE Maths Tutor”.
- Rate - You can set your own hourly rate, and from this hourly rate we take a platform fee of 20-25% depending on the number of hours you have taught through Tutorful. If you offer different rates for different subjects or levels, please ensure you state your highest rate here, and you can elaborate on this more in your Bio. More information on this can be found here.
- Bio - Your bio is one of the most important areas of your profile, as it allows you to tell students why you are a great tutor and give them more information about your previous experience. It should, therefore, be written in a professional but friendly manner, and should be written in the first person! You need to write both a long and short bio - a guide to writing a great bio can be found here.
- Profile Picture - You’ll need a good quality picture that will be displayed on your profile in which you look friendly and professional. Please ensure it is a picture of only yourself, and that it is clear and in colour. More information on choosing your profile picture can be found here.
- Qualifications - You can let students know of any relevant qualifications which support the subjects you would like to teach. As a general rule, we ask that you have a qualification at least the level above what subjects you’re offering.
- Subjects - This is a list of the subjects which you would like to teach through us. It is important that you only list subjects at the levels you are able to teach them, have the relevant qualifications to support these, and are familiar with the examination process where applicable. If you don’t have a formal qualification in a subject, be sure to explain your experience in your Bio so that students can be sure you’re the most suitable tutor for their needs. We find that students tend to prefer tutors who specialise in one area, rather than claiming to be a master of everything! Bear this in mind when picking your subjects.
You do not need to complete these sections, however, these options are available if you would like to add the following details to your profile:
- Teaching status - if you have a qualification which has made you a qualified teacher, such as a PGCE, you can specify this here.
- Background check - you have the option of uploading a colour-image of an Enhanced DBS check dated within the last two years, or an older Enhanced check accompanied by the details of the DBS update service for us to check. More information on the DBS checks we can accept can be found here.
- Teaching Preferences - You can choose if you just want to teach online lessons through our platform, or also teach in-person as well! If you do want to teach in-person sessions, you can also set your travel policy, and how far you'd be willing to travel for lessons.
- ID - we will need you to upload a form of identification, such as a passport or driving license, so we can verify your identity and, importantly, pay you for the lessons you teach! We also need to verify your billing address via either your driving license or an additional document. Information on the ID we can accept can be found here.
- References - We will require at least two references to be returned to us, be it from past managers, colleagues, or students. You can simply add their name, email address and their relationship to yourself, and that will send them off a reference form from us to complete. Unfortunately, we cannot accept references from family members.
- Payment details - You don’t need to add these before your profile has been set live, however, we will need for these to be added before you teach your first lesson to ensure there are no delays to your payments!
Once you have added the above details you profile will automatically be submitted to our team to review!
If we like your application, we will get in touch as soon as we can to invite you to an online interview via a video call. If you haven’t heard from us within five days, please ensure you have successfully filled out every section.